Choosing The Right Teacher
When choosing a teacher do some research first because the guitar teaching business is definitely unregulated and full of bad teachers.
- Does he know his theory? Has he studied?
- What are his musical credentials?
- When "trialling" a lesson with a teacher test him out...How long does it take him to work out one of your CD songs requests by ear especially those with altered chords? Can he read music? Can he cover more than one genre? or is he just a Metal player.
- Try and avoid teachers in shops. You might be lucky finding a pro experience teacher in a music shop but generally shops employ kids whom aren't playing properly themselves.
- It's important you have a good relationship with your teacher. This can help you "the student" relax and not feel pressured.
- Is the teaching being interrupted by phone calls etc. A lot of teachers will not make up the time. Is the teacher punctual?